Sunday, September 04, 2011

What compels me to go

Every summer while every other family heads south to the beach, Matt and I drive north to the Carolina mountains. I have been blessed to marry a man who loves the mountains as much as I do, and since having Mac, we have wondered what our family vacations may look like. Naturally we want Mac to experience the magic of exploring the outdoors whether it be under a canopy of trees or on a beach, and we believe showing him God's handy-work can never start too soon. And while he may not understand all he is experiencing at the tender age of 8 months, I want to believe this is a start.
This trip to the Great Smokey Mountains was more a reconnaissance mission to see what worked for traveling/hiking with Mac, it turned out to be one I will always remember. The boy is beginning to understand to smile when the camera comes out.
Waterfalls...our favorite.
Mac's first "hike" on the AT.
Busy, buzzing, bees.
Picnics and giggles.

Ominous.
Mama bears with her cubs.
Elk? Yes, Elk.
Resting at a stream on a walk in the woods.
More resting for Mac.
Blueberry picking...5 pounds worth!
Teaching Mac the art of picking the ripe ones.

No comments: