Monday, October 25, 2010

Dear refuge of my weary soul

When God said that he would consume Israel in his wrath, Moses prayed and God “repented”.  When the people of Ninevah turned from their evil, God “repented” of the judgment he foretold through Jonah (much to Jonah’s dismay). Does prayer still work the same way today? Can we change the mind of God through prayer? More importantly, did these people in the Old Testament really cause God to “repent”?

John Piper said that the reason people are so frequently displeased with the results of their prayer life is because they misuse prayer. Piper believes that we are using a wartime walkie-talkie as a domestic intercom. We tend to be much more concerned about our own comfort and luxury than the spiritual war taking place outside of our comfort zone. I fear my dissatisfaction from prayer comes from my own misuse of the tool. Do I treat prayer like a domestic intercom to line my life with luxuries or do I humbly pray with holy motives desiring God’s name to be hallowed and His Kingdom come? I’m sorry if this is confusing. I’m chasing a lot of rabbits and I frequently get lost myself.

Over the past weeks, my prayers have been gripped by paralyzing sense of urgency and desperation. Sometimes these quiet moments communing with God are reduced to silence and tears as fear and doubt creep into my heart. Oh how, I want assurance that our son will be born healthy and alive! I am gently reminded that while praying for healthy children and healing for sick relatives is not a selfish luxury, I cannot change the mind of God. God’s mind needs no changing. In fact, the goal of prayer is that my mind might be changed. I may not understand the mind of the Lord or instruct him, but through the transforming power of the Holy Spirit, I might be given the “mind of Christ” (1 Cor 2:16). Matt reminds me also that when “prayers are not answered in the way we hope, it is good to remember ‘the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and weakness of God is stronger than men’” (I Cor. 1:25). I cannot discern His wisdom, nor can I always understand the ways in which His greater purpose is attained, but I rest in the truth that “God works for the good of those who love Him.” What is left is faith. And like the Psalmist, when my “heart is grieved and my spirit embittered” God’s right hand holds me fast. He is the “strength of my heart and my portion forever.” This is what I cling to when all else fails and my hope seems crushed beyond recognition.

I know I cannot predict the struggles this life will bring but with His hand to guide me, I can safely walk into the unknown. So I will continue to pray even when words fail me.
Lately, my prayers have been focused on this little one…

McClendon "Mac" Samuel Dean Ross  








 “The act of prayer teaches us our unworthiness.  . . . While it is an application to divine wealth, it is a confession of human emptiness. Prayer is in itself apart from the answer which it brings, a great benefit to the Christian. Prayer girds human weakness with divine strength, turns human folly into heavenly wisdom, and gives to troubled mortals the peace of God.”

-C.H. Spurgeon

No comments: